[time-nuts] Slightly OT - GPS-Based Accurate Direction Finding

David Smith david at smithfamily.net.au
Thu Aug 26 01:04:01 UTC 2010

As a fair percentage of the discussion amongst the learned gentlemen on
this group involves GPS-based timing systems, I'd like to ask a non-time
related, but GPS-related question.

As part of microwave radio experimentation, often on windy hilltops, I
have a need to find direction very accurately.  I have seen advertised
GPS-based Azimuth Pointing Systems such as this:
http://www.ascscientific.com/APS.html
However they are a little (lot) out of my budget range.

The system seems to work by taking the raw satellite phase information
from two separate GPS systems and crunching the data to come up with an
azimuth figure.  Has anyone heard of a (Open Source?) program that could
be used to do these calculations?

Regards,
David Smith