[time-nuts] Slightly OT - GPS-Based Accurate Direction Finding

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Fri Aug 27 13:10:57 UTC 2010

I never found a better method than observing a circumpolar star at
night with
a theodolite and an almanac to find South or North.
You then find a distant object known as the referred object, and find
its azimuth.
 From then on at that station you can use the RO to set your azimuth.
At home I have a street light 4 km distant that I use as a RO, either
by day or night.
It seems strange, with all those satellites, whose position is known
with such accuracy,
that we can not get an accurate azimuth, but then we do not have a
sighting
device to observe a referred object or satellites.
cheers, Neville Michie