[time-nuts] Better GPS

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Fri Aug 27 19:42:09 UTC 2010

> I didn't know the Moon tides can change the elevation of LA by 40 cm!

Yup, tides in solid rock.

I think it's been mentioned here before, probably more than once.

There are two cases that I know about where it really matters:

Radio Astronomy
  If you are doing VLBI, you need to know the position of the antennas
accurate to a fraction of a wavelength.

CERN
  They did an experiment that was very very sensitive to the diameter of the
ring.  The data was much noisier than they expected.  Correcting for the
phase of the moon cleaned things up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth_tide#Earth_tide_effects

http://www.catb.org/~esr/jargon/html/P/phase-of-the-moon.html