[time-nuts] Better GPS

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 27 19:45:00 UTC 2010

Brooke Clarke wrote:
> Hi Bob:
>
> Here's an interesting sidebar:
> Precision Modeling for Orbit Determination
> <http://www.aero.org/publications/crosslink/summer2002/02_sidebar2.html>
> from the web page:
> Orbit Determination and Satellite Navigation
> http://www.aero.org/publications/crosslink/summer2002/04.html
> I didn't know the Moon tides can change the elevation of LA by 40 cm!

oh yeah... all my GPS/geodetic friends at work say that once you get
down into the "sub-meter" range for gps (or sub 3 ns..same thing)
there's a whole raft of errors in that ballpark.. tidal displacement,
ionosphere, multipath, atmospheric refraction, etc.

They say it's sort of a "whack-a-mole" when you're trying to get better
than that (for non-differential measurements)