[time-nuts] Advise on HP/Agilent 54111D

Robert Benward rbenward at verizon.net
Tue Aug 31 01:20:16 UTC 2010

Jason
Be carefull with some of the older digital scopes, some them only sampled at
a low rate, yet boasting front ends of hundreds of MHz.  You need to look
for sampling rate in hundreds of mega-samples per second to get real time
performance.  This particular scope is 1G/S but only 8K memory depth.  Also,
this scope is huge!  This is the full size rack mount size, 9.22"H, x 17"W
by 25.25"D and 59 lbs.  Not something you lug around from room to room.

I purchased a 54520A, a black and white scope 2ch, 1GS 500MHz scope on Ebay
for $300.  It's the same width and height, but only 15" deep.  The to of the
line in that series is the 54542C, which is the 2GS, 500MHz, 4ch scope in
color (active matrix I think).  If you are patient, one can be had for
$1200.

Bob

Agilent HP 54111D. The 54111D Digitizing Oscilloscope is a 1 GS/s,
two-channel digitizing oscilloscope with a memory depth of 8 k samples per
channel. The 54111D retains all of the key features and user friendliness of
the 54100/110 Oscilloscopes...such as automatic measurements, auto-scaling,
cursors, and a functional color display. Plus, the 54111D adds features
necessary for controlling and managing the added memory depth, such as
scroll, zoom, and memory bar. Other features include 500MHz repetitive
bandwidth (250MHz single-shot), up to 8-bits of vertical resolution,
pre-trigger information, and complex triggering capabilities.