[time-nuts] Does GPS time reception work everywhere all of the time?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Aug 31 09:36:49 UTC 2010

In message <201008310920.o7V9KZuI025816 at stenn.ntp.org>, Harlan Stenn writes:
>You wrote:

>> I would _never_ advice configuring more than 5 ntp servers for any
>> machine, unless some of them deliberately are made unavailable and
>> only used for monitoring/sanity-check.
>
>Sounds like a bug to me.

It is.

The problem is that if multiple servers with roughly identical
performance survive the culling, the clock selection codes
commitment-anxiety makes i switch partner far too often.

If you allow the automatic poll-rate tweaker into the game, instead
of sensibly clamping maxpoll, it gets even more interesting.

Poul-Henning