[time-nuts] OT: NTP server questions

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Wed Dec 1 07:08:30 UTC 2010

rdarlington at gmail.com said:
> That's exactly what we've done in the past (setting it when on the network
> and letting the clock do what it wants) and that's fine.  The actual time
> isn't as important as the agreement on what time it is.  This is certainly
> the cheaper way to go and is becoming a viable option.

How long does it take for data to get from way out in the field to your
system?

Earlier, you said that you only needed time to within a second.  That's a
long time for networking.

If it's only 100 ms (pulled out of the air) for the data to get from the
sensor to your system, then forget all the timestamps as the local system and
just use the arrival time at your system.

If a significant part of the delay is things like RS-232 baud rates, you can
correct for that constant offset.  (or semi-constant if the length of a
message varies, but maybe you can record the length of the message and do the
right correction)