[time-nuts] Time Code generator

Collins, Graham CollinG at navcanada.ca
Fri Dec 3 12:28:13 UTC 2010

On another list to which I subscribe, the question was asked about the
suitability of recording WWV 2.5mhz audio as one track when recording
off the air signals of interest as a time reference.

The person who asked the question didn't really state his intentions but
they seem very similar to my immediate needs. That is, simply a time
reference - that is "the time", the start of the minute, and periodic
references (i.e. seconds) between the announcements.

It seems that recording the audio of something like WWV or CHU is ideal.

However, another approach would be recording a more proper time code
signal as you might have available from a "precision clock". Of course,
a decoder would also be required.

A quick Google search turned up lots of leads which I have yet to sort
through. In the interim I thought I would pose the question to the
learned members of this group for their suggestions. Keep in mind KISS
and that a very high degree of accuracy is not required.

Is there an opensource/freeware PC app that will generate an appropriate
time code signal that can be recorded on one track of an audio recorder
(either PC based i.e. Audacity or standalone) that will also decode via
soundcard or other input?

Cheers, Graham ve3gtc