[time-nuts] Time Code generator

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 23:02:34 UTC 2010

You computer can generate "time code" audio signals and if you are
keeping the computer's clock sync'd with NTP then those generated
time codes will be reasonably accurate.    The time code generator is
distributed with the NTP software along with other misc. tools.  It's a
free download if you don't have it.     The code is I think the same as
sent  by WWV.  It is some IRIG version.  It hing the name of the
time code generator is  just "tc".    There is a good chance you
alreasy have this but if not it's in the NTP source distribution

OK I just looked it up.  The filename is .../util/tg.c and here is a
quote from the file

* This program can generate audio signals that simulate the WWV/H
 * broadcast timecode. Alternatively, it can generate the IRIG-B
 * timecode commonly used to synchronize laboratory equipment.

later NTP can read back this time code and sync a clock to it.
We do this "all the time" when recording rocket telemetry at
work.  It works pretty much exactly the way the OP wanted
I thing this implementation in tg.c is good to about
1 millisecond

--
=====
Chris Albertson