[time-nuts] Lady Heather Wish-list

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Sun Dec 5 00:16:22 UTC 2010

> I echo Bob's thanks to the authors of this invaluable program.
>
> I like to have the satellite path display to the right of the graph
> panel, but haven't managed to set the configure file to do that
> automatically, and always have to issue the gb and gm commands after
> running the program - have I missed something?

Mark can address this, hopefully.

> I know it has been mentioned before, but I am concerned about the
> program apparently using 100% of CPU time.

As discussed before, it's behaving as intended.  It does not use 100% of the
CPU on an absolute basis; rather, for maximum responsiveness, it will tend
to use most of the CPU time that's left over from other applications.  (You
can run several instances at a time, for example, all connected to the same
TCP server.)

> On my old Toshiba laptop running Windows XP pro (service pack 1), Lady
> Heather beta 3.0 will usually self-quit after about ten days :-(  I
> have several other logging programs (written in BBC BASIC - see
> http://www.cix.co.uk/~rrussell/bbcwin/bbcwin.html) running at the same
> time, but it is only LH which I has disappeared when I return after a
> couple of weeks.  Sorry this is so vague.

Is this true of the current beta, with heather.exe dated June 2, 2010 at
1:41 PM?  There was a bug in the earlier April beta release that could cause
it to run out of stack space under certain conditions.  This could also
contribute to the perception of out-of-control CPU usage.

I updated the .exe in early June as soon as I found the bug, but at the time
I was expecting a new source dump from Mark, so I didn't bother bumping the
version number in the install script.  That is still the case. :)  You may
be able to fix the self-termination behavior with a reinstall.  If not, let
me know offline and we can look into it.

-- john, KE5FX