[time-nuts] Older Lucent GPSDO and Rubidium combo

Paul Cloud jpcloud04 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 04:59:56 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I'm a long-time lurker, (read on the web) but only a short time
list-member.  I purchased a Lucent timing shelf through eBay several
months ago.  I had long wanted a GPSDO. Indeed, I had missed out on
the first wave of HP Z3801A units that were so cheap.  I really did
not have any need for one but I still wanted it ;<)  In any case I did
purchase this Lucent KS 24019 which puts 15 MHz out with aplomb, but I
of course need 10 MHz. I suspect that I can remove the 15 MHz
oscillator block and jumper the 10 MHz signal from the rubidium and
the GPSDO through to the built-in distribution unit but I would like
to see if anyone has any detailed information about these units?
In specific I wondered if anyone on the list had modded these units
and if so what were the results? Also does anyone know whether there
is a way to get information out of them similar to the Trimble T-Bolt,
I suspect not.  The units that I have are the heat-sink front drawers
that slide into the timing tray Rubidium is a KS24019 L102B the GPSDO
is a KS 24019 L104C.
I have trolled the back catalog of posts to the list on these but see
no publicly available source of information. I have found some info on
KO4BB's site but most of it seems to pertain to the newer smaller all
heat-sink case units. There have in the past been some posts regarding
these but I thought that I should introduce myself first and ask for
help from the list at large before sending personal emails.
I have purchased a T-Bolt in somewhat suspect condition (pieces) but I
think that it is now working OK. I do not have any other source to
compare it to other than the high stability internal oscillator in my
frequency counters, (Racal 1992 and a fully loaded Fluke 1953A). I
will check it's output on some of my Tek counters when I get them out
of storage.
My real interest in this unit is to leave it on all the time as a
constant reference source for my service monitor and counters as well
as a better calibration source for my test gear. I'm having fun
playing with the T-Bolt though and I'm trying to get it gussied-up, (
<--you'd never guess I'm an Okie) with a display etc.

Thanks in advance and 73, Paul Cloud, KF5CKQ