[time-nuts] reference oscillator input circuit

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Thu Dec 9 20:05:44 UTC 2010

jimlux wrote:
> Javier Herrero wrote:
>>>

>>> hysteresis is in the 100mV minimum range, and max peak amplitude is
>>> in the 0.9 to 1 Volt range (they'll have a bias point a bit over a
>>> volt, and a lot of them do not do well at all if you swing close to
>>> the supply rail)
>>>
>>> Maybe with external clamps and over drive it.
>>>
>> Yes, I was thinking in that way. But surely they are better solutions :)
>>

> hence my question to the list..
>
> I'm going to gather all the responses and summarize them for the list
> later today.

Since noise modulation (power supply and device noise) of device
parameters (eg collector base capacitance) can be a significant source
of phase noise adding some emitter degeneration in a long tailed pair
and shunting the collector load resistors with inductors (eg a
transformer winding) should be an effective way of reducing such phase
noise. A capacitor shunting the collector load can also be effective in
reducing the circuit bandwidth closer to the optimum and desensitising
the circuit bandwidth to device parameter variations. However avoiding
high Q parasitic resonances with the output inductors (or transformer)
will be necessary.

Bruce