[time-nuts] Got 60HZ?

Neville Michie namichie at gmail.com
Thu Dec 9 23:18:51 UTC 2010

My general solution to generating clock frequencies of any frequency
is to
take a middle frequency from the divider chain (say 10kHz) and feed
it into a PLL
chip with a divider (say 3 or 6 using a Johnson counter which resets)
in the feedback loop.
This multiplies the VCO output by 3 (30kHz or 60kHz) which will then
divide down to 60Hz
with very little phase noise. The only difficulty is the need for a
reset that is synchronised
with the PPS signal. (use a D latch or two)

cheers, Neville Michie