[time-nuts] 3586A HQ PDF Manual available -optimization-

Roberto Barrios rbarrioss at msn.com
Fri Dec 10 10:18:40 UTC 2010

Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 23:58:30 +0100
From: Alberto di Bene <dibene at usa.net>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] 3586A HQ PDF Manual available
To: Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement
	<time-nuts at febo.com>

   On 12/9/2010 11:18 PM, Roberto Barrios wrote:

Luckily I've been able to invest a few unexpected evenings on the manual and
all the long boring work is already done. I'm now reviewing it thoroughly as
I'd like to avoid having to fix silly mistakes after people have already
downloaded it (something which is plainly unavoidable, I'm just trying to
minimize the embarrasment...)

It is a matter of hours,  you'll get it for the weekend :-)

Thanks for the interest !
Roberto EB4EQA

   I have been able to reduce considerably the size of that PDF by using
   the optimizing function of Adobe Acrobat, without loss of quality.
   The optimized copy is here :
   [1]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15089947/3586%20-%20Operating%20Manual%20%28
   HQ_opt%29.pdf
   Now it is 61,227 kB instead of the original 116,380 kB
   If you will publish an amended copy, I will process that as well.
   73  Alberto  I2PHD

Hi Alberto,

I've downloaded the reduced-size PDF and, although not very obvious, there
is loss of quality. See the attached comparison and see how sharpness is
reduced on the optimized capture at the right side. My goal was to create
the highest possible quality manuals, using the big sharp scans found at
KO4BB website. I'd prefer to release them as good (and big) as possible so
that anyone who needs it can reduce the size (always at a cost). The
optimization can be done at any time but the lost bits are lost forever,
there is no way back.

Thanks to Alberto and those of you that sent me emails offering help, thank
you.

I expect to release the manuals very soon.

Regards,
Roberto EB4EQA