[time-nuts] Software defined spectrum analyzer

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Sun Dec 12 01:12:45 UTC 2010

Good to know. Yes, for that measurements the required limits were quite
low (21dBuA from 10MHz to 100MHz), and in that case the noise factor of
the 8566B were limiting (well... one could scan that range with narrower
bandwidths but would end taking ages). For the 30Hz frequency, the limit
was higher (I don't remember the exact value), but the 0Hz spur leakage
through the 10Hz filter was high enough to be over the measurement limit
(the EMC probe was a Solar 6247-1 clamp that has an horrendous
attenuation at that range, like all probes of that kind). Since I also
had not too much time available for experimenting, we ended conducting
the tests in a nearby laboratory, where we also conducted the EMC tests
for CE compliance. We were also near the limit of their ESU-40 and their
FFC clamp probes... but at least we had some dBs of margin to measure.

Next time, it would be the perfect excuse to buy one of these toys for
amusement also :)

Best regards,

Javier