[time-nuts] Older Lucent GPSDO and Rubidium combo

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Dec 13 05:00:34 UTC 2010

> Are you under the impression that the Rb is disciplined also? I had thought
> that the GPSDO side was disciplined and the Rb was only for holdover, they
> seem to call it fly-wheeling. They spec 8 hour holdover for the GPSDO and 24
> hour holdover for the Rb in the limited info I've been able to snag. I'm
> still digging for more info.

Holdover is more than just a single number.

I'd expect something like:
  The PPS will be within X microseconds for Y hours.

It might be that there are two sets of specs, one for a crystal and another
for a Rb option.  I'd expect the Rb option to have smaller X or longer Y.

Most Rb units have an adjustment (screwdriver or voltage) to correct for the
local magnetic field.  If you have that sort of adjustment voltage, you can
easily turn it into a GPSDO.