[time-nuts] IRIG-B with Arduino

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 06:59:44 UTC 2010

If the goal is to learn about AVRs that is a good project.  But if you
want a cheap IRIG decoder I bet you already have one.  An IRIG driver
is included with NTP.  The NTP driver reads the time code from an
audio interface set for 8Khz sample rate.    If you are writing a
decoder it might be good to study the NTP source code.  They do good
bit of error checking and averaging and get to microsecond level even
on noisy signals.  But then it runs on an "full size" 32 or 64 bit
computer  There is also an irig time code generator  in the source
.tar file but it is not compiled by the Makefile, yu have to do that
by hand.  No the IRIG driver is compiled by default

On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Bruce Lane <kyrrin at bluefeathertech.com> wrote:
> Fellow clock-tickers,
>
>        I'm finally starting to learn microcontrollers, and have selected Atmel's AVR line as my tool of choice. I've also discovered the Arduino site, and am starting to learn their IDE as well.
>
>        My first goal will be an open-source/open-hardware IRIG-B decoder (takes IRIG-B 1kHz stream, sends the timecode to an LCD panel). I've noticed a distinct lack of hobby-priced decoders on the market, and I intend to try and remedy that.
>
>        My initial development platform will be the Arduino Mega-2560 board. However, that particular microcontroller is unlikely to be my final chip of choice due to the fact it's not available in a hobbyist-friendly DIP package. If others with more development skill have suggestions for a different chip, I will gladly listen.
>
>        Stay tuned for further developments (no pun intended). I expect this to take at least a few months, as the learning curve looks kind of steep.

=====
Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California