[time-nuts] GPS for use with NTP server?

Cook Mike mike.cook at orange.fr
Wed Dec 15 07:56:03 UTC 2010

Le 15/12/2010 07:26, Hal Murray a écrit :

>> But my question was about NTP and if NTP on a typical computer could make
>> use of 1PPS that is down in the nanoseconds
> A microsecond or few is generally great for NTP.
>
> One of the main considerations is temperature of the local crystal which can
> fluctuate due either to CPU load or environmental changes.
>    http://www.megapathdsl.net/~hmurray/ntp/slope.gif
> Each color is 24 hours.
>
> My suggestion would be to start with the lowest cost solution and see if you
> can detect any problems that might be associated with the lack of quality on
> the PPS signal.  I doubt if you will find anything.

Good advice. I would just add that with the ntp utilities you won't be
able to monitor offset and stability better than 1us and you won't get
any idea of what satellites are visible and being tracked  , so chose
some receiver that has a monitor available for your platform. The Oncore
receivers have one that is free for Windows, not sure about others.