[time-nuts] TAC/TDC

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Dec 15 21:59:03 UTC 2010

On 12/15/2010 08:13 AM, Josef Kölbl wrote:
> Magnus,
> with regard to your questions:
> measurement rate = 1 kHz
> rms jitter <= 10 ps
> linearity better 3 ps
> resolution of 1 ps is the minimum differential measurement which can be
> made (ie granularity).

Thanks, this makes your requirements much clearer.

This does not seem to be within reach of the ACAM devices and the PICTIC
II is not in that neightborhood either:

http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/pictic.htm

Considering the 25 ns maximum TI difference (if I recall your specs
correctly) it would require a 16 bit ADC besides good input.

I doubt that you would find a complete solution lying around, but either
you revamp the PICTIC II concept or go for some other variant of time
interpolation.

Maybe Bruce may give some suitable advice.

Cheers,
Magnus