[time-nuts] IRIG-B with Arduino

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Dec 16 05:52:47 UTC 2010

Loks like I need to make myself clear also.  Sorry.  When I said
develop on the desktop I meant for a desktop target.  Writing code
this is to run on the desktop is far easier then wrioting code that is
to run in a micro controller.  Of course in both cases to type and
edit using ther desktop machine.

I have programmed micros using toggle switches and push buttons to
directly load in binary code bit by bit put that gets old real quick
but that was the way it was done.

So to be redundant.  The best way to learn programming in C is to do
so by writing for a simple and easy to use target execution
environment.  The simplest is a command line terminal

You can find the source code for NTP at
http://www.ntp.org/downloads.html
un tar the file into "somedir" and then look at
...somedir/ntp-4.2.6p2/ntp/refclock_irig.b
and in there is the code to read IRIG and also some good comments that
explain both irig and how to decode it.
This code samples the irig signal 8,000 times per second and does the
demodulation in software.
It also does to "ntp stuff" that you don't need to care about

The other file is in the "utils" directory and is a time code
generator used mostly for testing decoders

On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 8:46 PM, Bruce Lane <kyrrin at bluefeathertech.com> wrote:
>        I must not have made myself clear. I certainly plan to use the development environments on my PC. That is, after all, why I loaded up AVR Studio and the IAR packages.
>
>        Can you provide a link for the NTP thing you mention?
>
>        Thanks.

=====
Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California