[time-nuts] Loran?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Dec 19 04:44:48 UTC 2010

This is a marine navigation unit sold under "West Marine's" own brand
name.    It looks modern and automated.  Has functions on it like
"anchor drift alarm"  Where you fix your location then set a radius
and if the unit moves outside the radius it beeps loudly.  Just what
you'd want if your ship of dragging anchor.  The unit is very small
and modern looking.  It is controlled with a keypad and large LCD
screen.  Zero analog knobs.

My guess is that this thing wants an active whip antenna of some kind.
 There is an BNC on the back.

I don't think this is worth a lot of time, not if the transmitters are
gone.   I thought I read they were going to continue for another 20
years.

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 4:01 PM, Magnus Danielson
<magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> wrote:
> On 12/19/2010 12:46 AM, Chris Albertson wrote:
>>
>> Some one gave me an old Loran receiver.  It fires up, the keypad and
>> LCD display seem to work but status is always "Searching"
>>
>> Questions:
>> 1) I think there are still Loran transmitters?
>> 2) What does a Loran antenna look like?  A random length of wire
>> strung up in the attic is doing nothing.
>>

> If you are in North America you are out of luck. You *might* pick up on
> European LORAN-C transmitters.
>
> So, locality first...
>
> THEN we can advice you on what antenna needs you have... and then we also
> needs to know what LORAN C receiver you have...
>
> Cheers,
> Magnus

=====
Chris Albertson