[time-nuts] Frequency counter recommendation

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Dec 19 08:20:03 UTC 2010

On 12/19/2010 05:13 AM, Bob Camp wrote:
> Hi
>
> In the case of a $200 5370, you have to wait a while to find one. When you get it, you likely have to do some work to get it running. At the very least you will need to do a cal.
>
> My guess is that a counter project would be very similar. There is an order and build process that happens every so often. Eventually you get a set of boards that *might* work. They still need a bit of this and that to get them running. Once running you need to do a cal.
>
> The calibrated and running counter is something you can have tomorrow (more or less). That's very different than the kit of boards.

Another issue is that the lifetime of components in home-cooked
solutions. For "long time support" such a solution needs to be
retargeted as components come and go. You would then have a line of
boards doing the same function but not using the same components, which
would quite likely cause a not optimum usage of these components as the
capability for performance would shift over time. Eventually will some
old design decision be a show-stopper for optimum performance.

Is anyone here still using 10V PPS signals?

Cheers,
Magnus