[time-nuts] Frequency counter recommendation

Gerhard Hoffmann dk4xp at arcor.de
Sun Dec 19 10:53:35 UTC 2010

Am 19.12.2010 05:52, schrieb Bob Camp:

>  The real thing you would learn about is writing code that runs an FPGA.

Yes. A good starting point would be a Xilinx SP605 kit.
It's about the $750 for a decent 5370 and includes
many points from Bobs option list.
> The other gotcha here is that the feature list can get pretty large:
>

> 3) USB 2.0 interface
> 4) RS-232 interface
> 5) HPIB emulation of an HP box    (w/o drivers)
> 6) Ethernet interface
> 1) Web server software
> 1) Front pannel controls       (W/o mechanic)
> 2) Front pannel display        (VGA output)
> 3) Front interface connections (DUT's)
> 4) Rear pannel standard interfaces and controls  (w/o mechanics)
> 2) Flash card storage
> 3) USB stick storage
> 4) SD card storage
> 5) Battery backed RAM storage
> 1) Some number of counter inputs ( some programmable SMA I/O)
> 2) Some number of reference inputs
>
> 1) Battery power
> 2) Auto 12 V power
> 3) AC line power
use as a PCIE card in a pc or mac
onchip CPU that can run Linux with DDR ram etc
Fiber optic link
can do massive DSP
FPGA design software and embedded software included
> So lest's see, that's 3 x 4 x 5 x 4 x 6 x 6 = 8,640 combinations. That does not include any options that actually relate to how the gizmo works. That's just talking about the eye candy around the thing.

regards, Gerhard

(who has bought a kit and currently writes some blocks for a SDR)

blocks for a