[time-nuts] Loran?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 17:29:05 UTC 2010

The Oxford dictionary has "radar", "loran" and "scuba" all listed in lower case.

Also according to them "radar" never was an acronym.  It is a coined
word.  Technically to be an acronym the it must be spelled by the
first letter of several other words.  "SCUBA" is an acronym but
"scuba" is now a common English word that has displaced the old 1950's
vintage "SCUBA" in modern usage.  But "radar" was never an  acronym.

The Oxford English Dictionary takes the view that the  English
language changes  with time.    You can disagree.  Many people do and
claim English has fixed rules that never change but if you do then you
will have to pick a date for when it was "correct" and then explain
how it could be incorrect before that date.

On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 7:07 AM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com> wrote:
> Indeed. But thats the way it goes.
>
> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 12:52 PM, J. Forster <jfor at quik.com> wrote:
>
>> There ain't no such thing as Loran. It's LORAN, just like RADAR.
>>
>> They are BOTH acronyms.
>>
>> -John

>> > There never was a Loran receiver with a keypad.  I am certain he meant
>> > Loran C.  Loran is (was) the common name for the service... But then,
>> > you already knew that, and were just trying to stir things up.
>> >
>> > -Chuck Harris

>> > and follow the instructions there.

=====
Chris Albertson