[time-nuts] Loran?

David McGaw david at endor.com
Mon Dec 20 20:48:46 UTC 2010

   As written in Wikipedia and as I have always understood:  "The term
   RADAR was coined in 1940 by the [1]U.S. Navy as an [2]acronym for radio
   detection and ranging."
   David
   At 01:04 PM 12/20/2010, you wrote:

     IMO this trend is a two edged sword:
     I don't like to see the historical aspect of the name lost by it
     becomming
     a lower-case noun.
     OTOH, it's been said that the ultimate tribute in Physics is to
     become
     "part of the furniture", like Newton's or Maxwell's Laws.
     FWIW,
     -John
     ===============
     > The Oxford dictionary has "radar", "loran" and "scuba" all listed
     in lower
     > case.
     >
     > Also according to them "radar" never was an acronym.  It is a
     coined
     > word.  Technically to be an acronym the it must be spelled by the
     > first letter of several other words.  "SCUBA" is an acronym but
     > "scuba" is now a common English word that has displaced the old
     1950's
     > vintage "SCUBA" in modern usage.  But "radar" was never an
     acronym.

     > The Oxford English Dictionary takes the view that the  English
     > language changes  with time.    You can disagree.  Many people do
     and
     > claim English has fixed rules that never change but if you do then
     you
     > will have to pick a date for when it was "correct" and then
     explain
     > how it could be incorrect before that date.
     >

     > On Mon, Dec 20, 2010 at 7:07 AM, paul swed <paulswedb at gmail.com>
     wrote:
     >> Indeed. But thats the way it goes.
     >>
     >> On Sun, Dec 19, 2010 at 12:52 PM, J. Forster <jfor at quik.com>
     wrote:

     >>> There ain't no such thing as Loran. It's LORAN, just like RADAR.
     >>>
     >>> They are BOTH acronyms.
     >>>
     >>> -John
     >>>
     >>> =================

     >>> meant