[time-nuts] RADAR

J. Forster jfor at quik.com
Tue Dec 21 00:07:50 UTC 2010

Correxct, I believe.

There is a little known story about the cavity magnetron:

The one Tizzard brought over was machined out of a solid block of copper.
Copper is a horror to machine....  kinda like cheese. A machinist was
lucky to get any yield.

It was brought to the Raytheon labs and Percy Spencer looked at it. The
next day he proposed to make them out of thin stampings, like the stator
of a DC moter, stacked up and furnace brazed. He also figured out a better
way to make the internal straps. The outcome was an easily produced
maggie, which also produced much higher power.

Best,

-John