[time-nuts] Form factor

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Tue Dec 21 19:05:23 UTC 2010

I agree about the ebay finds. Bad to design the boards form factor around
old chassis.
Maybe the thing is to find out from the electronic design how big the
board(s) will have to be or what the electronic footprint is, then go from
there? If the boards are designed so that idiosyncratic mounting is
possible, we can all mount them according to our own taste?

Don

Chris Albertson
> You can't plan a project like this around eBay junk.  How would you
> assemble
> 100 kits if each kit requires that you find a specific HP instrument on
> eBay?
>
> If cost is a big issue then I'll go back to my first idea.  Make your PCB
> about
> the size os a disk drive.  Then yu get a llength od 1 x 1/4 inch aluminum
> and bend it into a three sided "U" and attach it to three sides of the
> PCB.
>
> The finished assembly should fit into any enclusre designed to hold SATA
> disk drives.  A PC case could work but there are nicer looking boxes, rack
> mount and diesktop
>
> This trades a bit of metal working for the cost of a Hammond box.  But
> the metal work requires only a hack say and drill.
>

> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 8:35 AM, Bob Bownes <bownes at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I do the same with Tek 500/500series instrumentation plugins. You can
>> get
>> the TM504 mainframe for < $50 on ebay and scrap grade modules for < $10.
>> Plus you get a linear power supply, backplane and already RF rated
>> enclosure.
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 21, 2010 at 11:12 AM, <EWKehren at aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>> One source of boxes to consider is old HP equipment, some is very
>>> reasonably priced, like 37203 for small boxes and a 59401A makes an
>>> ideal
>>>  housing
>>> for a Rb with clock GPS and backup power. Some times you can even use
>>>  part
>>> of the guts. I even went as far as repackaging my 5062C into a HP case
>>> of
>>> that generation, heresy in the eyes of some of you
>>> Bert Kehren   Miami

>> and follow the instructions there.
>>

> --
> =====
> Chris Albertson
> Redondo Beach, California

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument are
as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
R. Bacon
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road