[time-nuts] What is the best way to multiply a 10 Mhz

Rick Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Tue Dec 21 20:41:38 UTC 2010

Mike Feher wrote:
> The 6 mixer scheme was my first thought for lowest PN. That way you do not
> get 20logN, but you just get the RMS sum of the noise power each time.
> That

No, this is a fallacy because phase noise adds coherently, so that each
doubler adds 6 dB and each tripler adds 9.54 dB.  There is no way to get
around 20 LOG N, no matter how you implement the multiplier even if
you add a tripler output to a quadrupler output, where phase noise also
adds coherently.

Rick Karlquist N6RK