[time-nuts] LORAN C antenna thoughts from the group

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 22:09:10 UTC 2010

John I believe that it is usable certainly from the pre-amplified whip that
I picked up 90070 last night on.
The downside is you have to be awake at 0300. One of those nights.
As I mentioned my GPS comparison was not very good because I forgot to
rehook the gps antenna up to the hp3801. Doaaaa. Explains that pretty well.

Is there a real advantage to a 4 or 6 foot big loop compared to a small
loop?
I use a 3 foot loop on wwvb/preamp and that works well.

One other point on the wavefrom on loran c. It was constructed to minimize
the impact of skywave influence on the receiver. Essentially making it
easier for the receiver to distinguish between the two. Thast what I hadread
in the loran docs.
Regards
Paul.
PS I thought the bw was +/- 10KC and even wider.