[time-nuts] My Garmin 18x, Ver 3.50, currently 1 second slow to UTC

Kiwi Geoff geoff36 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 00:30:53 UTC 2010

Calling any Garmin 18x users,

I noticed this morning that my Garmin 18x was giving the time 1 second
slow to UTC - it has been running in sync with UTC for about 2 years
now.

Garmin has recently ( 13th Dec 2010 ) changed the 18x firmware from
3.30 to 3.50, so I updated my GPS sensor just now to the new version
3.50 - and it is "still" 1 second slow to UTC.

I tried two of my older Garmin 18 (no x) modules, and they are in sync with UTC.

All three Garmins are showing (on the $PGRMF sentence) that the delta
between GPS time and UTC is 15 seconds (which is correct).

I guess it is that time of the year when "pending leap seconds" can
apply (although Dec 31 2010 is NOT going to be a leap second year).

So I wondered, any other folk out there with a Garmin 18x - is it 1
second slow to UTC ?

Regards, Kiwi Geoff (Christchurch, New Zealand).