[time-nuts] What is the best way to multiply a 10 Mhz

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Dec 22 14:55:08 UTC 2010

On 12/21/2010 10:11 PM, Bernd Neubig wrote:
> Hi Rick,
>
> I have a problem to imagine how you connect the LO and RF port of a mixer in
> series and drive it (the IF port?) with a ... sine wave.
> Can you send me a sketch of this arrangement please?
>
> Tnx a lot!
>
> Best regards
>
> Bernd Neubig DK1AG

Good question.  I am posting this in case others were confused.

On the ASK-1, pins 2, 3 and 6 are NOT internally connected.
This is confusing because the data sheet denotes them all as "Ground".
I forgot to mention this because it is intuitive to me.
There is a statement to this effect somewhere in an ap note.

The netlist is as follows:

10 MHz to pin 1 of inductor
Pin 2 of inductor to pin 1 of capacitor
Pin 2 of capacitor to pin 1 of ASK-1
Pin 3 of ASK-1 to Pin 4 of ASK-1
Pins 6 of ASK-1 to ground

The X2 output comes from pins 4 and 5 (the "IF").
Usually you would connect pin 5 to the same ground
as pin 6, but you could also take the output differentially
(IE floating).

The capacitor and inductor resonate at 10 MHz, the loaded
Q is around 4.  The drive impedance of the ASK-1 as indicated
is around 30 ohms IIRC.  Of course, many other mixer models
can be used, as long as they have both sides of the LO port
available.

Rick Karlquist N6RK