[time-nuts] Speaking of Counters...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Sun Dec 26 07:45:29 UTC 2010

Gang,

Thanks for the input.  I never seem to hear any discussion about the
5345A so I thought that maybe there was something about the
HP-5345A's that was not in favor - for some reason.  Glad to know
that's not the case.  I paid about $300 for my 5345A about 8 or so
years ago with a complete service manual.  It was working when I got
it and it has the Hi-Stab oscillator.  I've had it apart a few times
to clean, edge connectors and all, and I think it's about time for
that again.  This time I'm going to replace the fan.  It's starting
to become noisier than just high velocity noise.

I used to have a HP-5425A and still have 3 or 4 plug in's from it.  I
see one of the adaptors on eBay that looks pretty clean for
$495.  What is a fair price for the adaptor?

Thanks again for your input.

Burt, K6OQK

>From: Pete Lancashire <pete at petelancashire.com>
>Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Speaking of counters...
>

>other then big, noisy and somewhat of a power hog, they to me are one
>of the best bargains out there if you don't have a big budget.
>
>HP Journal that talks about them
>
>http://www.hparchive.com/Journals/HPJ-1974-06.pdf
>
>if your not in a hurry and you use GPIB or think you will in the
>future, look for option 12. I have
>seen fully working 5345As go for as little as $25 on the E. One day I
>went to do a local pickup
>of a piece of Tek gear and the guy had about 10 5345A's all not
>working from a DOD sale. I went
>home with a full pickup for $50.
>
>001 - Room Temperature Time Base
>010 - General Purpose Interface ( gpib format, talk only)
>011 - General Purpose Interface (Digital I/O plus control of all
>functions except input amplifier)
>012 - General Purpose Interface (similar to option 011, but adds slope
>and level control)
>
>Where I will never give mine up is the combination of the 5355A
>plug-in and one of the 5356A/B/C
>heads. It brings the counters input as close as you want to your work.
>
>You do have to be careful on getting a non damaged head
>
>There is 5245A that will take you to 4Ghz. and an App note
>
>http://www.hpmemory.org/an/pdf/an_173.pdf
>
>Lastly there is the HP10590A plug-in adapter that lets you use the
>5245 plug-ins. For me I use
>the Video plug-in and one that I made myself from a gutted one.
>
>Lastly there are S/N ranges but I can't remember them ..
>
>-pete
>

>On Sat, Dec 25, 2010 at 3:17 PM, Burt I. Weiner <biwa at att.net> wrote:
> > What is the groups thoughts on the HP 5345A? ?I have one that I use as a
> > general purpose counter and it seems to do a fine job. ?I like the ability
> > to count low frequencies fast, although sometimes I notice some
> dithering in
> > the count that I'm attributing to issues in the counter itself rather than
> > my known source.
> >
> > Burt, K6OQK

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services