[time-nuts] Us Time Nuts and... Wrist Watches.

Keith E. Brandt, WD9GET wd9get at amsat.org
Sun Dec 26 15:28:54 UTC 2010

     I like my Suunto Vector Wrist Computer.  It's the Swiss Army knife
     of watches.
     Has Date, Time, Alarms, stopwatch, etc plus barometer, altimeter,
     thermometer, bubble level . . . .
     [1]http://www.prc68.com/I/Watch-Real-Fake.shtml#SVWC <- watch
     [2]http://www.prc68.com/I/PT.html <- Swiss Army Knife

   I had (actually, still have in a drawer somewhere), a Suunto Vector.
   It's a great geek watch, but didn't find it to be a great Time Nut
   watch. The graphic seconds indicator around the limb of the watch has a
   funky pattern that it goes through as the number of pixels around the
   periphery doesn't divide into 60 (Suunto says this is to make it a
   better compass). Also, you can reset the second display to zero, but
   you can't set the actual zero time, so you can't set the watch to
   better than +/- 0.5 sec. And, it doesn't have WWVB capability.
   I replaced it with the Casio Pathfinder. It has all the geek functions
   of the Suunto (altimeter, barometer, compass, etc), plus adds the WWVB,
   MSF, DFC77, JJY self-setting capability. I've found it to hold good
   time when it hasn't set. It's also quite rugged and holds up well to an
   active lifestyle.
   For the astro-geek time nut, I like the Emerald Time app for the iPod
   Touch/iPhone. I wish they made real watches like these!

   Col Keith E. Brandt, MD, MPH
   [3]keith.brandt at gmail.com
   "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him,
       but because he loves what is behind him" -- G. K. Chesterton
   *This message transmitted with 100% recycled electrons

   Col Keith E. Brandt, MD, MPH
   [4]wd9get at amsat.org
   Goodbye cruel world that was my home-
     there's cleaner space out here to roam
   Put my feet up on the moons of Mars-
     sit back, relax, and count the stars
   *This message transmitted with 100% recycled electrons