[time-nuts] Advice on a freq time standard.

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Mon Dec 27 02:03:18 UTC 2010

Jerry,

I have both and they work very well.  There are programs available to
monitor both the TBolt and the Z3816A.  The Z3816A has an LED on the front
panel to announce when it is 'locked' while the TBolt does not, thus the
ability to get some information about the 'quality' of the signal without a
computer.  There is a small external LED monitor that is available on the
Bay (300373959536) to connect to the TBolt to alleviate the need for a
computer.  No connection to the seller except a satisfied customer.

Both communicate via an RS232 serial port.  The Z3805A is also on the Bay
and also communicates via an RS232 serial port although you will need to
build a DB25 to DB9 adapter.

You might want to look at http://www.realhamradio.com/ for a comparison of
the Z3801A and the Z3816A.  The oscillator for the Z3816A and the Z3805A is
the same.

I have used them as reference standards for my workshop but not for the ham
shack.  The TBolt requires +12 VDC, -12 VDC, and +5 VDC where the Z3816A
requires about +24 VDC.  Either way you cut it, to go portable, you will
need some extra equipment.  I suspect it is easier to build a +12 VDC supply
for the TBolt than the Z3816A.  As long as the antenna is stationary, the
signal should be good once it is 'locked'.  In a 'new' location, this can
take upwards of an hour.  In my shop, it is about 20 minutes.

The Z3816A is a bit smaller than the Z3805A but a similar package and
relatively easy to rack mount.  The TBolt is a 'modular' item and could be
incorporated in a box that includes a power supply and the LED monitor.
Ideally, it could be a 12 VDC/120 VAC supply with connections to allow an
external computer or the internal LED monitor to function.  (I wonder if you
could have both active at the same time?)  This has been a plan of mine for
'a while' but not in action yet.

Hope this helps.

Joe