[time-nuts] interesting trick from ALMA paper

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Dec 28 16:05:12 UTC 2010

On 12/27/2010 05:53 PM, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> Alma #511 has an interesting trick for phase comparison: two counters, an adder and a DAC...
>
> http://science.nrao.edu/alma/aboutALMA/Technology/ALMA_Memo_Series/alma511/abs511.shtml

This trick is known from literature (such as Wolaver) and is comparable
to dividing the frequencies down. I've used that trick myself in several
designs. As the detector phase range becomes significantly larger,
border formulas needs to be adapted. The pull in and lock in range will
become larger.

Cheers,
Magnus