[time-nuts] GPS Antenna -Receiver Mutual Interference...

Burt I. Weiner biwa at att.net
Fri Dec 31 02:53:59 UTC 2010

Has anyone run into a situation where two GPS Navigation type
Antenna/Receivers interfere with each other?  Recently I've had need
to operate with two GPS navigation systems in the same car at the
same time and I've had to shield the antennas from each other, or at
lease get them as far apart as practical on a car otherwise they both
seem to interfere with each other and I can lose GPS lock.  The two
systems are:

1. A Delorme Earthmate LT-40 running with Topo 7 USA.

2. A Garmin GPS-128 with a (eBay special) hockey puck antenna.

I don't know what is inside these receivers. Maybe the I.F.'s are
talking betwixt one another?  Any thoughts, any experience with this?

At home I have two DATUM 9130 systems running on separate antennas
that are about 12 inches apart and do not seem to bother each other.

Burt, K6OQK

Burt I. Weiner Associates
Broadcast Technical Services
Glendale, California  U.S.A.