[time-nuts] Problems with Garmin Nuvi

John Green wpxs472 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 31 17:25:01 UTC 2010

Quote:"
Maybe we should cut these cartographers a little slack.  When you consider
that Garmin will sell you a map update of the entire northern hemisphere for
eighty bucks, we perhaps shouldn't get too wadded up if they miss the exact
location of my little bungalow by a couple of hundred feet.  After all,
we're not talking about GPS error here, but address designation.  And there
are quite a few little bungalows in all of North America...

Bill"
You and I look at that a little differently. If I pay $80 for a map, I
want the part that concerns me to be correct. I could care less about
the rest of the US, I want my little neighborhood to be right.
Sorry, no slack cutting here.
I think the problem arises because the GPS calculates the street
address. There is a standard way of assigning addresses but sometimes
counties deviate. My ex wife worked in that business a while and she
said there are 1000 addresses per mile, or one every 5.28 feet. But,
counties, who are legally correct even if they are wrong do things for
their own reasons. My ex said she re addressed an entire street once
because it was done by the developer and done incorrectly only to have
to restore the older, incorrect addresses after the residents
objected. There are a lot of rules concerning addressing but they are
not always followed. If the GPS looks at the end of a road and
calculates the address based on distance, I am surprised it ever gets
one right. Incidentally, Google maps has my address wrong about 100
feet in the other direction.