[time-nuts] ADEV vs MDEV

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 6 23:27:42 UTC 2010

And still another way of looking at the problem is:
One wants to know the Average freq over each of the 1 sec Tau sample
intervals,
and do it in such a way that there is no dead spots and no overlapping
information. (within the stated bandwidth)
Can be done with Phase (which tends to have limited resolution at low tau)
BUT Easy enough to do with a properly set up "Tight Phase-Lock Loop".
Now send that raw data to "PLOTTER" and tell it that it is Freq data and let
it do its thing.
NO phase need be involved at the raw data, and I don't think 'Plotter' is
first turning Freq Data into phase to get ADEV Freq data.
but that is a Ulrich question.

> "However its easier just to use the sampled phases in the alternative
> formula."
Are we off topic again?
For me, It is just as easy to have "Plotter" use either formula, It does not
complain about which is harder.

BTW, using a ADEV program I wrote in excel. When using Freq data, it was a
little easer than using Phase data.
Both give the same answer, If there is enough accurate Phase resolution, i.e
0.1 pS.  for low taus faster than 1 sec.

> "One cannot use EFC samples spaced at intervals of Tau directly ..."
Right, I hope all know that. Needs to be integrated (averaged) Freq over the
sampled Tau period,
NOT instantaneous freq at some random points along the way.
The NIST VtoF converter did that integration and so will a simple RC filter
with oversampling and a PC.

Still don't see where it needs to reconstruct the Phase evolution.
On the contrary the phase is used to reconstruct the Average Freq.
AND one of the BIG problems is that is very hard to do accurately if a Phase
TI is being used at Taus below 100 ms. (10Hz)

Just so things do not get too far off the original topic, here is a
reminder:

ws