[time-nuts] ADEV vs MDEV

WarrenS warrensjmail-one at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 6 23:55:45 UTC 2010

>"An ADEV noise floor of 1E-13 isn't likely when using an HP10811A as the
>VCXO for example."

How quickly one forgets and gets lost on these long topics.
>> "If you accept that the measurement is going to limited by the  Reference
>> Osc,
>> for Low COST and SIMPLE,  Can't beat a simple analog version of  NIST's
>> "Tight Phase-Lock Loop" "

And which method are you saying is NOT limited by the Reference Osc??
Correct, not going to get to 1e-13 at one sec with a HP10811A,
nor likely with any other Ref Osc that most Freq nuts have.
SO Seems like that is GOOD enough noise floor limit to use for a "low cost &
simple" configuration.

BTW
A well setup "Tight Phase-Lock Loop" method will go below that..
and a good HP 10811A can go below 1e-12 at 0.1 sec. (at a bandwidth of 30
Hz)

ws

Bruce Griffiths said:

>The noise of the OCXO used as a VCXO will limit the noise floor.
>An ADEV noise floor of 1E-13 isnt likely when using an HP10811A as the
>VCXO for example.

Bruce

*****  Original Topic *************