[time-nuts] Frequency comparison

Stan, W1LE stanw1le at verizon.net
Sun Feb 7 18:13:24 UTC 2010

Hello John,

I could receive some of the non US/Canadian Loran C stations,
but I could never lock onto them.
Probably getting only one station and lock up would require the other
stations in that chain.

I had been using a McKay Dymek DA-100D active whip antenna.
I am considering going to a larger single loop,
an in line array of smaller single loops, and possibly a multi turn loop
with at least 1" separation between turns.

Other e-probes like the AMRAD design and other small active whips have
potential.

If I had the real estate, I would love to have a few 1000' + beverage
antennas on the ground (BOG), oriented in different directions, with
preamplifiers.

A 200'+ vertical wire loop has potential, tuned for 100 KHz and with a
preamplifier.

Right now the active whip is on the bench and in the process of being
rebuilt.

Nantucket is the nearest LORAN C station, about 41 miles away.
It will be interesting what DX I can get on 100 KHz, after the local
shut down next October.
Nantucket is part of the US and Canadian chains.

My active whip is vertical with omnidirectional coverage.
Your AUSTRON loop is directional and may require reorientation
to the Iceland/European LORAN C chains

ARR, Advanced Receiver Research, in CT does offer RX preamplifiers
that will go down to 100 KHz.
If the AUSTRON mag loop is passive, consider a preamp.

Another useful RF item is the AUSTRON model 2084 LF Multifilter for
1 antenna input and 4 outputs to receivers. Multiple notch filters
tunable from 70 to 130 KHz can be used as needed.

Stan, W1LE     Cape Cod     FN41sr