[time-nuts] The Smell of Tantalum in the Morning

Glenn Little WB4UIV glennmaillist at bellsouth.net
Tue Feb 9 01:05:38 UTC 2010

While in the US Navy, we had to do equipment inspections.
One quarterly was to examine the capacitors in the power supply of
one piece of equipment.
We were to look for leakage (sulfuric acid) from CL65 type wet slug
tantalum capacitors.
Shortly after that CL65 type capacitors were disapproved for military use.
I never saw one that leaked in that equipment, but, have seen a
number of boards damaged from seal leakage on CL65 capacitors.
Something to look out for.
The CL65 capacitors probably have a pure silver case a sulfuric acid
as an electrolyte.
The seal is Teflon.

We also had an interesting failure mode for ATC ceramic capacitors.
This failure mode will only occur in a sealed environment (submarine.

Just an observation.

73
Glenn
WB4UIV