[time-nuts] Low phase noise VCO

Ulrich Bangert df6jb at ulrich-bangert.de
Wed Feb 10 08:02:30 UTC 2010

Nick,

altough you have been asking for advice for the VCO I would like to draw
your attention on how you can improve your phase detector. Edge-triggered
phase detectors are not bad, the even can work as frequency detectors if you
are far from lock and help you to gain lock where a XOR would not. However,
once you are CLOSE to a phase lock, a simple XOR makes the better phase
detector with less phase noise. There is a VERY easy circuit that marriages
the best of both worlds. Google for the AD9901 frequence/phase detector and
mimic their schematic of the first page into your CPLD. Have done this with
different CPLDS from XILINX and ALTERA and has always worked very well for
me in terms of frequency locking range and low phase noise.

Best regards
Ulrich Bangert