[time-nuts] Injection locking

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Feb 11 00:40:14 UTC 2010

You might want to look for
R. Adler, "A study of Locking Behavior in Oscillators"< Proc of IEEE, v 61, pp1380-1385, Oct 1973
Or
K. Kurokawa "Injection Locking of Microwave Solid State Oscillators", same issue, pp1386-1410.

Those seem to be papers that get cited a lot.
The coupled oscillator phased array schemes rely on the fact that the phase of the locked oscillator has a consistent relationship to how far the frequency is from the "rest" frequency.. if you push the rest frequency with a DC voltage (for instance), then you can get a DC voltage to phase control, which is quite convenient.  If you have a whole bunch of oscillators, you can just push the ones at the edge, and the ones in the middle couple to the ones next to them and the phase has a nice linear curve across the array.

I am reminded of our recent discussion on this list of an array of coupled mechanical oscillators.