[time-nuts] Advice on 10 MHz isolation/distribution (Clay)

Bob Camp lists at cq.nu
Thu Feb 11 23:27:08 UTC 2010

Hi

If you dig into the data on some of the conventional isolation amp designs, their noise floors are down around -150 dbc / Hz in the 1 to 10 Hz range. Taking out the transformers and going to a push pull output might bump things up into the -140's in the 1 to 10 Hz range.  Essentially you are building the "old NIST amp" in the paper:

http://tf.boulder.nist.gov/general/pdf/498.pdf

That's not to say that the old NIST amp is the best way to go, only that the close in noise performance should be similar to that amplifier.

Simple answer = the 2N3904 / 2N3906 should be fine for what you are trying to do.  You can find lower noise parts that don't have enough Ft to be useful. You can also find RF parts that have great Ft, great broadband noise, and lousy flicker noise.

Bob