[time-nuts] Tight PLL Tester

Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Fri Feb 12 01:53:47 UTC 2010

WarrenS wrote:

> ws said
>
> Bruce said:
>> 0) If one follows that diagram blindly ...
> Then that one should not be BUILDING the TESTER from scratch.
>
>> 1a) The PLL  BW... has to be adjusted to be close to that of the
>> oscillator under test.
> The PLL Close loop BW is NOWHERE near the Osc freq. I agree that would
> cause severe problems.
> The PLL BW has to be high compared to the 1sec LP filter value they
> are using.
> What I have shown in the markup, is a 1K to 10 KHz PLL bandwidth which
> makes a good typical value.
> IT IS NOT CRITICAL,  just has to be high compared to the low pass filter.
>
>> 1b) so that the phase detector operates in its linear region.
> The Phase detector is ALWAYS operating in its linear region, and NEVER
> off by even a mv at its output.
> The high bandwidth 10,000 gain amps between it and the ref osc will
> see to that.
>
>> 1c) A second order PLL may be a better choice.
> A first order works fine at this bandwidth, with NO freq control RCs
> in the loop.
> When done right, there is only the natural pole of freq to phase
>

>> 2 & 3) The mixer LP filter is far from optimum
> Which is why I use a C R C R C for mine.
> My R's are 49 ohm, Nothing magic about the value, just that with 100
> ohms, they added more Johnson noise.

All such details are important, even the type of resistor and at high
frequencies the actual part no and manufacturer.
Component parasitics (capacitor inductance, capacitor esr, resistor
inductance, resistor shunt capacitance, etc)can be very important in RF
circuits.
Not all resistors (or capacitors) of the same style/size from different
manufacturers have the same parasitics.

>> 4) One cannot substitute either a DVM or an oversampling ADC
> If all that is wanted is a chart recorder output, You can use any DVM
> as shown in the block.
> As long as the oversamping ADC is fast compared to the Low pass 1 sec
> filter used in their block
> Then the system FREQ noise spectral response as recorded in the PC Log
> file is just about totally determined by the Low pass filter
> and NOT the freq response or type of ADC or VtoF converter used or its
> update rate.
>
> I think we're making progress, I didn't see any mention of the
> nonexistent Phase recovering integrator this time.

It should always be present either explicitly or implicitly, to believe
otherwise is to misunderstand the relationship between average frequency
and phase differences.

Without an integrator or its equivalent (implicit or explicit) the phase
noise transfer function will differ from that of the NBS implementation.
One way to approximate a box car integrator is to average the output
samples in blocks of N samples where N is the number of samples in the
minimum vale of Tau.
The minimum value of Tau should be around half the RC low pass filter
cutoff frequency period (you need to read the Stein paper for details).
However the sampling rate has to be sufficiently high (well above the
Nyquist limit) to allow this without using WSK interpolation to estimate
the signal value between the samples.
> thanks, it's always fun to read your comments
> ws

Bruce