[time-nuts] No 1 PPS output on a Tbolt

Scott Burris slburris at gmail.com
Fri Feb 12 17:14:22 UTC 2010

I got a DS1052E a few months ago and I'm quite happy with it.  It's
great for looking at events
like this thread has been discussing (although am I the only person who
still owns a Radio Shack
logic probe from the 70's which would work just fine for detecting 1PPS??).

I won't be giving up my three analog Tek scopes anytime soon though.
The DS1052E
tends to be a bit noisy looking at low level signals, and anything over
50Mhzish pushes
me back to the analogs.  The user interface isn't always obvious, as it
seems most buttons
have multiple function and menus abound on this thing.  But user
interface problems seem to
be common on lots of test equipment these days -- I wonder what kind of
scope Steve Jobs
would design :-)

I find myself using it mostly as a kind of 2 channel analog logic
analyzer, setting up a single
capture from the trigger and studying what happened before and after the
trigger.  First use
was looking at an I2C bus, not only to look at the data, but also the
rise time of the signals.

For the price it can't be beat, and it fills a diagnostic hole for me
that I can't easily fill with
the other equipment at my (hobbyist) disposal.

Scott