[time-nuts] Jupiter GPSDO

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Fri Feb 12 18:47:42 UTC 2010

ashley40 at aol.com wrote:
> Hello..... We built the " 10mhz simple GPSDO from boards supplied by G3RUH. (Using the Jupiter GPS receiver)
> Questions:
> Has anyone built one,
> How well does it work
I haven't built one, but people who have say its performance is
comparable to commercial units.  Check out
http://www.leapsecond.com/pages/gpsdo .

> How exactly is the RS232 output connected to a XP computer ?
> Is the RS323 /software protocol the only way to tell if this thing is actually working ?
> We are using a trimble ( new) active antenna, mounted with a clear view of the sky.
> Does this Jpiter receiver need to be reset before use ?
> How do we tell if we are in a location that is in view of satellites ?

The more sky you can see, the better.  If you only have a clear view of
the northern sky you could have problems.  The GPS satellites' orbits
result in a large hole over the poles.  See
http://www.realhamradio.com/images/GrahamGPS.jpg and
http://www.ae.utexas.edu/courses/ase389p7/projects/svatek/images/skyplot3.jpg
.

There's lots of info online on the Jupiter board and software and
hardware addons for it.  It's a very popular unit.

> Reply off list is just fine...  The truth is, we are a bit frustrated with all of this gps business, and wonder if its worth any more time . Sorry for the long list of grumblings.

There's always that darn learing curve with a technology that's new to
you.  Stick with it.

Ed