[time-nuts] Loran C sounds

Robert Berg bob.b at pobox.com
Sun Feb 14 06:36:54 UTC 2010

I believe he's referring to the Fairchild A-10A bubble sextant,
originally produced in the 1940s.  I used a periscopic sextant in the
KC-135, an improvement over the hand-held, or dome-mounted bubble
sextant, but I never used any sextant in the Fairchild Republic A-10A
"Warthog" I subsequently flew.  Interesting coincidence with
nomenclature.  Using a sextant in my single-seat Warthog would have been
a trick!  I confess to having drooled over Loran C while serving as a
nav in SAC.  When I eventually installed Loran C in my personal Mooney
aircraft, I was quite pleased with its performance, but there's no
question that GPS has eclipsed Loran in many ways for global
navigation.  Strangely enough, the only Loran receiver I saw
operationally in the USAF was Loran A, in the KC-135Q, to improve
navigation for rendezvous with the SR-71. It was quite a dinosaur, even
in the '70s.