[time-nuts] Advice on 10 MHz isolation/distribution (Clay)

life speed life_speed at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 18 23:33:35 UTC 2010

Message: 5
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 17:13:55 -0500
From: "Bob Camp" <lists at cq.nu>
Subject: Re: [time-nuts] Advice on 10 MHz isolation/distribution
    (Clay)
To: "'Discussion of precise time and frequency measurement'"
    <time-nuts at febo.com>

>Hi
>
> Have you looked into any actual data on small rf transformers under
> vibration at 10 MHz?

Hi,

No.  I have experience with low-noise designs under vibration, however.  What is the compelling reason for even considering such a device when a design is available that doesn't need it?  Sounds like risk without an upside to me.

>The phase noise of your reference is going to head up by your +56 db. As
>long as the transformer's impact is well below the reference, it will not
>show up in the output signal.

any spur larger than -130 dBc will be an issue.  It doesn't take much vibe to do that.  And the synthesizer has to operate under 10g RMS.

>Noise at the load is a problem, no matter how it gets there. Transmission
>may not be inside your scope -yet. It's still an issue that directly impacts
>what you are trying to do.

Only one device is at the end of a long cable, with reduced performance expectations.  The others are local and share a common ground.

I am familiar with the various types of capacitors properties and frequencies.

Clay