[time-nuts] OT: HP 8590A

life speed life_speed at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 20 19:27:12 UTC 2010

Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 17:38:50 -0700
Subject: [time-nuts] OT: HP 8590A

Since the list members are familiar with lots of test equipment, I'd
like to ask what the folks here think about the HP 8590A Spectrum
Analyzer. Is this model ok? Are there any particular failures I should
be aware of in this 20+ year old equipment?

I have a chance to buy one locally. The only option is has is GPIB. I
took a preliminary look at it and it passes the simple test/cal
procedure from chapter 1 of the Ops manual. This model only goes to
1.5GHz, but would still be useful for Amateur use. I do wish it would
go up to 3GHz, however. I have never owned a spec an, but am somewhat
familiar with their usage.

Thanks for the input.

Joe
KA5ZEC

I personally do not like these low-end spectrum analyzers.  They have poor dynamic range and phase noise performance.  However, I design microwave circuits for a living and can be a test equipment snob.

If you think it is adequate for your purposes, I would at least connect it to a calibrated signal generator and verify amplitude accuracy is within 3 dB.  Most old spec ans I have seen are way off, even broken.  Still show a signal on the display, but not very helpful.  Also check for spurious across many frequencies.

Clay